The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is accepting comments through May 22 on an environmental assessment worksheet to address proposed expansion of recreational trails at Cuyuna Country State Recreation Area in Crow Wing County.
The DNR is proposing to develop 50 miles of new trails in the Yawkey, Mahnomen, Sagamore and Portsmouth units, and a trailhead and an outdoor event space in the Sagamore Unit.
Among the potential environmental and social effects evaluated in the EAW are impacts to trout streams, plant species of special concern, and historic mining structures.
A copy of the environmental assessment worksheet is available online at mndnr.gov/input/environmentalreview/cuyuna-country-trail/index.html.
A hard copy may be requested by calling 651-259-5694.
The document is available for public review at:
- DNR Library, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155.
- DNR Northeastern Region Headquarters, 1201 East Highway 2, Grand Rapids, MN.
- Hennepin County – Minneapolis Central Library, Government Documents, Second Floor, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55401-1992.
- Jessie F. Hallett Memorial Library, 101 1st St. SE, Crosby, MN.
- Brainerd Public Library, 416S. 5th St., Brainerd, MN 56401.
- Kitchigami Regional Library, 212 Park Ave., Pine River, MN.
The EAW notice was published in the April 22 EQB Monitor, a weekly publication of the Environmental Quality Board. Written comments must be submitted no later than 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 22 to the attention of Kathy Metzker, EAW project manager, Environmental Policy and Review Unit, Ecological and Water Resources Division, DNR, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155-4025.
Electronic or email comments may be sent to email@example.com with “CCRSA EAW” in the subject line. If submitting comments electronically, include name and mailing address. Written comments may also be sent by fax to 651-296-1811. Names and addresses will be published as part of the EAW record.