A series of events celebrating the 10-year anniversary of the passage of the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment will take place throughout Minnesota in 2018. The first of these events will be from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 27, at Silverwood Regional Park, 2500 County Road E, St. Anthony.
Adults and kids who attend the Parks and Trails Legacy Celebration at Silverwood Regional Park can try kick-sledding, ice fishing, a snowmobile simulator and other indoor and outdoor activities. Visitors can also hike among art sculptures throughout the park. Between activities, there will be s’mores and other light refreshments around a crackling bonfire.
“The passage of the Legacy Amendment was a game-changer for organizations working to support Minnesota’s outstanding system of parks and trails,” said Erika Rivers, director of the DNR’s Parks and Trails Division. “At this event, and the statewide events to follow, we will not only highlight what has been accomplished over the past decade with Legacy funding but, perhaps even more important, we will gather input from people throughout the state—adults and kids alike—to help shape priorities moving forward.”
Staff from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, the Metropolitan Council and the Greater Minnesota Regional Parks and Trails Commission will be on hand throughout the afternoon to lead activities and gather ideas.
Metro Transit is providing free rides to the event. Get a downloadable bus pass at www.legacy.leg.mn/ptlac/2018-regional-events.
Future Parks and Trails Legacy Celebration events will take place:
- Friday, April 27, 4-7 p.m., at the College of St. Benedict in St. Joseph.
- Saturday, May 5, 1-4 p.m. at the Red Baron Arena in Marshall.
- Friday, May 11, 4-7 p.m., at Hyland-Bush-Anderson Lakes Park in Bloomington.
- Saturday, May 19, 1-4 p.m. at 125 LIVE in Rochester.
- Saturday, June 2, 1-4 p.m. at Itasca State Park in Park Rapids.
- Saturday, June 16, 1-4 p.m. at Prairie Wetland Environmental Learning Center in Fergus Falls.
- Wednesday, June 27, 1-4 p.m. at Essentia Health Duluth Heritage Sports Center in Duluth.
For more information, visit www.legacy.leg.mn/ptlac.
For accommodations to participate, please contact Paul Purman at the DNR, email@example.com or 651-259-5643.