The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is accepting public comments on an environmental assessment worksheet (EAW) prepared for the Wright Bog Horticultural Peat project in Carlton County, about 8 miles west of Cromwell.
Premier Horticulture, Inc. proposes to develop approximately 316 acres of the Wright Bog in Carlton County for horticultural peat extraction. The proposed site would be cleared and ditched, with drained water discharged into Little Tamarack River. Sphagnum moss peat would be collected using the milled peat vacuum harvesting method.
The agency will take comments during a 30-day public review period ending at 4:30 p.m. Jan. 10.
A copy of the EAW is available online on the project page. A hard copy may be requested by calling 651-259-5126.
The EAW is available for public review at:
- DNR library, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul.
- DNR northeast regional office, 1201 East Highway 2, Grand Rapids.
- Minneapolis Central Library, Government Documents, 2nd Floor, 300 Nicollet Mall.
- Duluth Public Library, 520 West Superior Street, Duluth.
- Carlton Public Library, 213 Chestnut Avenue, Carlton.
- McGregor Public Library, Center Avenue and Second Street, McGregor.
The EAW notice will be published in the Dec. 11 EQB Monitor. Written comments must be submitted no later than 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 10, to the attention of Bill Johnson, EAW project manager, Environmental Policy and Review Unit, Ecological and Water Resources Division, DNR, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155-4025.
Electronic or email comments may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Wright Bog” in the subject line. If submitting comments electronically, include name and mailing address. Written comments may also be sent by fax to 651-296-1811. Names and addresses will be published as part of the EAW record.