The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has released and is accepting comments on an environmental assessment worksheet for a proposed stream restoration project on Spider Creek, located in St. Louis County. Release of the EAW marks the start of a 30-day public comment period.
U.S. Steel proposes to restore the pattern, profile, and dimension of an approximately 2,660-foot channelized reach of Spider Creek. The project would reposition the existing straightened stream channel to restore about 4,050 feet of channel. The restoration is designed to ensure sustainable stream characteristics and to improve riparian and floodplain vegetation.
A copy of the EAW is available on the DNR website.
Copies may be requested by calling 651-259-5115.
In addition, a copy of the EAW is available for public review at:
- DNR Library, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155.
- DNR northeast region headquarters, 1201 East Highway 2, Grand Rapids, MN 55744.
- Hennepin County – Minneapolis Central Library, Government Documents, Second Floor, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55401-1992.
- Duluth Public Library, 520 W. Superior St., Duluth, MN 55802.
- Mountain Iron Public Library, 5742 Mountain Avenue, PO Box 477, Mountain Iron, MN 55768.
- Virginia Public Library, 215 5th Avenue South, Virginia, MN 55792.
The EAW notice was published in the July 17 EQB Monitor. Written comments must be submitted no later than 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 16 to the attention of Cynthia Novak-Krebs, EAW Project Manager, Environmental Policy and Review Unit, DNR Ecological and Water Resources Division, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155-4025.
Electronic or e-mail comments may be sent to email@example.com with “Spider Creek” in the subject line. If submitting comments electronically, include name and mailing address. Written comments may also be sent by fax to 651-296-1811.