The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has released an environmental assessment worksheet for a proposed construction project to widen and manage flow rates for a section of the Mississippi River channel near Hastings that has narrowed with sediment build up.
Changing sediment patterns have made it difficult and costly to maintain safe navigation through this river channel. The St. Paul District U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is proposing to remove sediment and build two new rock sills on the right and left river banks to help control water flow and increase water velocity to help maintain the full channel width.
The DNR environmental assessment worksheet for the proposed project is integrated with a draft federal environmental assessment.
The DNR will accept comments on the EAW for the “Lower Pool 2 Boulanger Bend to Lock and Dam No. 2 Maintenance Project” through 4:30 p.m. July 26.
A copy of the document is available on the DNR website. Additional copies may be requested by calling 651-259-5082.
A copy is also available for public review at:
- DNR Library, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155.
- DNR Central Region Headquarters, 1200 Warner Road, St. Paul, MN 55106.
- Hennepin County – Minneapolis Central Library, Government Documents, Second Floor, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55401-1992.
- Park Grove Branch, Washington County Library, 7900 Hemingway Ave. South, Cottage Grove, MN 55016.
- Pleasant Hill Library, 1490 South Frontage Road, Hastings, MN 55033.
The EAW notice is being published in the June 26 Environmental Quality Board Monitor, also known as the EQB Monitor.
Written comments must be submitted no later than 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 26, to the attention of Kate Fairman, EAW project manager, Environmental Policy and Review Unit, DNR Ecological and Water Resources Division, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155-4025.
Electronic or email comments may be sent to email@example.com or by fax to 651-296-1811 with “Boulanger Bend EAW” in the subject line. If submitting comments electronically, include name and mailing address.