The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is accepting public comments through June 14 on an environmental assessment worksheet for the Hawkes Company Peat Mining Mercil Site project.
Hawkes Company is planning to expand its current peat mining activities in New Maine Township in Marshall County. The expansion area is a 299-acre rich fen and upland site located about 1.5 miles southeast of the company’s current operations. Of this 299-acre site, 198 acres have recoverable peat resources. Peat mined from this site would be used in the base of high-quality turf in various sporting arenas and golf courses worldwide.
An environmental assessment worksheet is a document that provides basic information about a project that may have the potential for significant environmental effects.
A copy of the document is available online on the environmental review page.
Additional copies may be requested by calling 651-259-5110.
A copy of the EAW is available for public review at:
- DNR Library, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155.
- DNR Northwest Region Headquarters, 2115 Birchmont Beach Road NE, Bemidji, MN 56601-8599.
- Minneapolis Central Library, Government Documents, 2nd Floor, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55401-1992.
- Crookston Public Library, 110 North Ash Street, Crookston, MN 56716.
- Thief River Falls Public Library, 102 First Street East, Thief River Falls, MN 56701.
The EAW notice is being published in the May 15 EQB Monitor. Written comments on the EAW must be submitted no later than 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, June 14, to the attention of Lisa Fay, principal planner, Environmental Policy and Review Unit, DNR Ecological and Water Resources Division, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155-4025.
Electronic or e-mail comments may be sent to email@example.com with “Hawkes Peat EAW” in the subject line. If submitting comments electronically, include name and mailing address. Written comments may also be sent by fax to 651-296-1811.