In response to requests from Minnesotans, the Department of Natural Resources is extending the public comment period on the adequacy of the PolyMet final environmental impact statement (EIS). Comments will be accepted through 4:30 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 21.
The original deadline for public comment was Dec. 14.
Comments to the DNR on the final EIS should be directed to the three criteria that the DNR will use in determining adequacy:
- Does the final EIS analyze the topics identified in scoping?
- Does the final EIS respond to comments received on the draft?
- Did the DNR follow the process established in state statute and rule for preparing an environmental impact statement?
Therefore, comments that specifically address these criteria will be the most helpful in informing the DNR’s adequacy decision.
“We have made every effort to facilitate public review, and have already received approximately 30,000 comments on the final EIS,” said DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr. “We hope this modest extension of the review period will help other interested parties comment on the adequacy of the document.”
The extension is limited to the DNR’s review period only and does not have an effect on the U.S. Forest Service or U.S. Army Corps of Engineers environmental impact statement process.
Comments can be submitted electronically at NorthMetFEIS.email@example.com or by mail to:
Lisa Fay, EIS project manager
Minnesota DNR Ecological and Water Resources Division
Environmental Review Unit
500 Lafayette Road, Box 25
St. Paul, MN 55155-4025
The final EIS is available on the DNR’s website.
Public review copies of the final EIS are also available at the following locations:
- DNR/MPCA Library, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul.
- DNR regional office, 1201 East Highway 2, Grand Rapids.
- DNR Lands and Minerals Division regional office, 1525 Third Ave. E., Hibbing.
- Hoyt Lakes Public Library, 206 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Hoyt Lakes.
- Babbitt Public Library, 71 South Drive, Babbitt.
- Duluth Public Library, 520 West Superior St., Duluth.
- Minneapolis Public Library, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis.
All written comments become a part of the final EIS record and are public information. Written comments will be accepted until 4:30 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 21.